North London firm of medium size are looking to recruit a solicitor into their private client department. Ideally the firm are aiming at 1-4 years PQE in terms of salary ( 35-50k). This is an expanding firm and looking for someone ideally already based in the North London area looking to play a role in development of the practice and join a team dedicated to client service and building on the firm’s existing good reputation. Salary will be dependent upon experience but between 35k and 50k per annum. The firm are located about 100 metres from an overground station.
Detailed description of the work as follows:
– Taking detailed instructions from clients, including providing Inheritance Tax, Capital Gains Tax and Income Tax advice where appropriate.
– Drafting wills in accordance with instructions and explaining to the client, in writing, in clear English to enable them to fully understand the content of their will.
– Attending on clients in person to explain the content of their will and to ensure that they fully understand and are happy with it before signing.
– Arranging and attending home visits if/when necessary.
– Attending on families to take information and instructions regarding the assets and liabilities of estates.
– Preparing paperwork to deal with the Inheritance Tax situation for each estate including dealing with full IHT400 Inheritance Tax returns, transfers of Nil Rate Bands between spouses and reporting complicated assets/liabilities including Nil Rate Band Discretionary Trusts.
– Preparing paperwork to apply for all types of Grants of Representation. Dealing with forms of renunciation, notices to non-proving executors, powers of attorney and other ancillary documents when appropriate.
– Dealing with the administration of estates including gathering in all assets, paying liabilities, and distributing the balance of the estate.
– Providing full and clear Estate Accounts for approval by executors and beneficiaries.
– Preparing Trust and Estate Tax Returns for estates when required.
– Dealing with the income tax liability of the deceased up to the date of death, including filing personal tax returns when required.
– Drafting Deeds of Variation.
Lasting Powers of Attorney:
– Taking instructions from clients regarding Lasting Powers of Attorney and providing them with advice regarding how these documents work and what has to be done to put them in place.
– Dealing with all required forms to put in place and register both Property and Financial Affairs and Health and Welfare Lasting Powers of Attorney.
– Providing advice for clients regarding trusts, including explaining the concept of trusts, the various different types of trusts, and the requirements for a valid trust.
– Completing and filing Trusts and Estates Tax Returns for ongoing trusts and dealing with the calculation of income tax due under the special trusts rates.
– Drafting trusts in accordance with clients’ requirements, including Personal Injury Trusts.
– Drafting ancillary documentation for existing trusts including deeds of retirement/appointment of trustees, deeds to appoint funds out of trusts, and other documents required to bring trusts to an end.
Court of Protection:
– Dealing with applications for property and financial affairs and health and welfare Deputyship Orders to the Court of Protection.
– Liaising with Counsel to provide advice regarding contested Court of Protection proceedings.
– Providing specific advice to clients about Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax, often alongside preparing wills but also as stand-alone advice.